The Libraries have an extensive collection of materials for children from birth through young adult. These items include:
- Board books for babies and toddlers
- Picture books for reading aloud and together
- Beginning Readers for kindergarten through second grade
- Juvenile Fiction for older readers, grades 3-6
- Young Adult Fiction for adolescent readers, grades 6-9
- Juvenile Non-fiction to meet information needs, grades 1-6
- Children's reference collection of encyclopedias, dictionaries, etc.
- Videotapes and filmstrips for all ages
- Magazines for all ages
- Children's computers and CD collection of learning games and activities for all ages
Preschool storytime is a program for children ages 4-7 years old. Programs consist of a combination of stories, flannel boards, finger plays, songs, and crafts designed to create a positive library experience and to develop a love of books for young users.
Storytimes are now being held in conjunction with Vacation Reading
Program. Please see the schedule of events for times.
Sample program themes include:
- Magnificent Me!
- Farm Animals
- Colors Everywhere
- Dinosaur Days
Toddler Tales is a weekly program for toddlers ages 18 months to 3 years.
Each toddler must be accompanied by a caregiver who must remain with the child during their visit.
Storytime To Go
In August 2009, Peach Public Libraries received a $2,500 grant award from Target to fund "Storytime To Go". Target's Early Childhood Reading Grants fund projects that foster a love of reading and encourage children, preschool through third grade, to read together with their families. Both Target and Peach Public Libraries recognize that reading is essential to a child's learning process. The grant will allow Peach Public Libraries to purchase some children's books for both the Thomas Public Library in Fort Valley and the Byron Public Library in Byron, and to create, print and distribute ten new Storytime To Go pages.Storytime To Go pages are available at both the Thomas Public Library and the Byron Public Library or below:
I Get Dressed
My Five Senses
Under The Sea
You may also listen to a variety of Dr. Seuss Dial-A-Stories online from the Kansas City Public Library or other stories from BookPALS Storyline Online read by popular actors and performers from the Screen Actors Guild.
Children's Theater is one of many features we are able to add to our new building. This area is set aside for children's storytime and puppet show presentations. Artist Robert Walker has painted seven vignettes depicting the characters of popular children's nursery rhymes and American folklore, from Jack climbing the magical beanstalk to Rapunzel lowering her locks to the waiting prince.
Paintings funded by Grassroots Arts Program (GAP), supported in part by the Georgia Council for the Arts through the appropriations of the Georgia General Assembly, as administered by the Macon Arts Alliance, the GCA designated agency.
Vacation Reading Program
This special program promotes reading during the summer months. Children from preschool to sixth grade are encouraged to register for the program and to come to the library to read and participate in Vacation Reading Club activities.
Special EventsCheck back soon for special events.
Teachers are invited to call or come by the library for information on scheduling field trips, tours, and/or story programs at the library. The Children's Coordinator is available to assist you with details.
Services for Parents and Teachers
The Children's Coordinator is available to provide advisory services when selecting books for children of all ages. On a limited basis, the Children's Coordinator is also available to provide presentations on library services for groups of teachers, parents, and care givers.
Services for Homeschoolers
Resources for Homeschoolers and Parents of Homeschoolers
- Georgia Department of Education Resources for Home School
- Homeschool World
- Homeschool Central
- National Home Education Network
- Homeschool Support Network
Web Sites for Kids
Educational and fun web sites for kids.
- The Coretta Scott King Award
- The Caldecott Medal
- The Newbery Medal
- Georgia Children's Book Award
- PBS Kids
- PBS Kids Raising Readers
- Children's Literature: Classic Books for Teens
- The Read In!
- TheCase.com for Kids
- Fact Monster
- Yahoo! - Children's Literature
- ALA Association for Library Service to Children Great Web Sites for Kids
- Pizza Hut's Book It! Program
- Sisterhood Central - from the creators of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
- KidsClick! - Web search for Kids by Librarians
- TeenReads.org - THE place online for teens to talk about their fave books
- Youth Entrepreneur Education by All Terrain Brain
Books, websites, and other resources for gaming